Frito pie is a corn (maize) chip and chili con carne dish popular in the United States. Frito pie may be made with just corn chips, chili, and shredded cheese, but often has other condiments added as well. Sour cream, jalapeños, onions, hot sauce, tomatoes, and various other Latin American ingredients are often used.
This is a traditional, and basic, recipe for Frito pie. Minor variants are common.
- 3 cups (710 ml) Fritos
- 1 cup (240 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (590 ml) chili (homemade or canned)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Spread 2 cups of Fritos in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the Fritos.
- Spread the chili over the Fritos
- Bake for 15 or 20 minutes and cheese is bubbly.
- Add remaining cheese and Fritos to top of pie.
- Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.
This is an alternate recipe. It includes making the chili for the pie.
- 2 tablespoons (Tbsps.) (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onions
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds (900 g) beef bottom round, cut into ½ inch (13 mm) cubes
- 1 teaspoon (tsp.) (5 ml) chili powder
- 2 tsps. (10 ml) ground cumin
- Crushed red chile peppers
- 2 tsps. (10 ml) dried oregano
- 2 Tbsps. (30 ml) chopped garlic
- 3 cups (710 ml) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (475 ml) beef stock
- 1½ Tbsps. (22 ml) each masa and flour
- 1 bag (10 oz. / 280 g) Fritos
- 1½ cups (350 ml) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 Tbsps. (90 ml) sour cream
- 1 small jar of jalapeños
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Stir in the beef, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano.
- Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and beef stock.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the liquid, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Skim off the fat occasionally.
- Mix the masa and flour together with a little liquid from the stock pot.
- Slowly stir in the masa slurry and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Place a handful of the chips in each shallow bowl.
- Spoon the chili over the chips.
- Garnish with the grated cheese, sour cream and jalapeños. Makes 8 servings.
Your basic, on the go, craving Frito Pie, recipe:
- Buy a 99¢ Grab-Bag of Fritos.
- Buy a basic 99¢ cup of chili from Wendy's (or wherever you like to buy chili)
- Carefully open the bag without ripping the sides
- Pour the chili over the top of the chips in the bag.
- Pour on the hot sauce from the little packets, and a little more grated cheese.
- Carefully eat it right out of the bag with a plastic fork, and enjoy.
The simple at-home way of making Frito Pie quickly, without an oven. More ideal for children than the hotter bag and casserole methods. Easily multiplied for parties or other occasions!
- Single-serving bag of fritos
- Single-serving of chilli
- Cheese and other toppings
- Heat chilli on stove or in microwave until desired temperature
- Pour over fritos in a bowl
- Add cheese and desired toppings
- Carefully eat it straight from the bowl