Cookbook:Frito Pie Chili
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A Chili intended for use in Frito Pie.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 tablespoons (Tbsps.) (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onions
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds (900 g) beef bottom round, cut into ½ inch (13 mm) cubes
- 1 teaspoon (tsp.) (5 ml) chili powder
- 2 tsps. (10 ml) ground cumin
- Crushed red chile peppers
- 2 tsps. (10 ml) dried oregano
- 2 Tbsps. (30 ml) chopped garlic
- 3 cups (710 ml) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (475 ml) beef stock
- 1½ Tbsps. (22 ml) each masa and flour
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Stir in the beef, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano.
- Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and beef stock.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the liquid, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Skim off the fat occasionally.
- Mix the masa and flour together with a little liquid from the stock pot.
- Slowly stir in the masa slurry and continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust salt, cayenne and other spices as needed.
- Keep warm until ready to use or serve.
See Frito Pie recipe for instructions on how to use to create Frito Pie.
Makes 8 servings.