Cookbook:Fried Wheat Bread Balls (Bhatoora)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Fried Wheat Bread Balls (Bhatoora)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 cups (650 g / 1.4 lb) wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp active dry yeast OR 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup (275 g / 9.7 oz) yoghurt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Mix the yeast with ½ cup lukewarm water, and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix the ghee and sugar with the flour. Add the yoghurt and dissolved yeast or the baking soda. A little more lukewarm water may be added if necessary. Knead well until the dough becomes soft and pliable. Use a little oil to knead well.
- Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for 4 hours.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan.
- Make the dough into small balls. Roll the balls out very thin.
- Deep fry the dough in hot ghee until golden brown. The dough should puff up a lot and develop a large airy pocket inside.
- Remove from the oil, and serve hot with channa or choley (chickpea curry).