Cookbook:Fresh Egg Pasta (Pasta Fresca All'uovo)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Fresh Egg Pasta (Pasta Fresca All'uovo)|
|Yield||12 oz (375 g)|
|Time||1 hour prep, 5 minutes cook|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Dough[edit | edit source]
- Pour the flour and salt into a food processor.
- Beat the eggs with the oil. With the processor running, slowly pour the egg through the feed tube.
- Continue to mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball. If it doesn't form a ball, add a little water through the feed tube 1 teaspoon at a time until it does.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and knead for 10 minutes on a floured work surface. If the dough is too sticky, work in a little extra flour.
- Wrap the dough in some cling wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and knead it some more until it has warmed to room temperature.
Shaping[edit | edit source]
By hand[edit | edit source]
- Divide the dough into 2 balls.
- Roll each ball out on a floured surface or pastry cloth in the shape of a rectangle.
- Rotate the dough 90º and roll across its width.
- Rotate 90º and roll some more. Keep turning and rolling until the dough is paper thin.
- If at any time the dough begins to stick, lift it carefully and flour the work surface.
- Dust the rectangle of rolled dough lightly and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll it up from the shorter side into a roulade (jelly-roll) shape.
- With a sharp knife, slice the roll into even strips as follows:
By pasta machine[edit | edit source]
- Cut the dough into roughly 3 equal pieces.
- On its widest setting, feed each piece of dough through the machine 5 or 6 times, folding it in thirds between each rolling, until smooth, shiny and elastic.
- Set the machine to the second setting and feed a portion of the dough through.
- Set the machine to the third setting and roll the dough through again.
- Keep changing the setting and rolling until the dough is about 1 mm (1/16 inch) thick.
- Use the appropriate attachment to cut the pasta into strips.
Storing[edit | edit source]
- Hang the pasta over a clean broomstick handle to dry, supported on the backs of two chairs. Or place on waxed paper or clean tea towels.
- Homemade pasta may be cooked immediately or wrapped, well floured, in cling wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Cook fresh pasta in 6–8 litres of water for 5–10 minutes or until al dente.