Cookbook:Fish Stock (Fumet de poisson)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Fish Stock (Fumet de poisson)|
|Category||Broth and stock recipes|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | French cuisine
Fumet de poisson is a fish stock.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 lb fish trimmings
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped onions
- ¾ cup celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup leeks or green onions including green part, sliced and thoroughly washed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, OR ½ tsp dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup dry white wine
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Wash the fish trimmings. Drain and mash with the back of a large spoon.
- Place the fish in a stockpot and add the water.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes, skimming off any scum.
- Add the vegetables and seasonings.
- Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming the surface every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and remove the fish and vegetables with a spider or slotted spoon.
- Strain through a sieve lined with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2–3 days, or freeze for longer.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- ↑ The heads, tails and bones of any firm white fish such as flounder, whiting or halibut.