Cookbook:Duonos Gira (Lithuanian Rye Drink)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Duonos gira (Lithuanain kvass) is a low- to no-alcohol drink made from fermented dark rye bread. It is often served in Lithuania as a summertime drink but is also good served hot in winter.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb dried black rye bread (Lithuanian rye-like sourdough)
- 5 qt. water
- 1 lb. sugar (optional)
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup raisins
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Boil water and pour over the cubed bread. Let soak for 24 hours.
- Strain the liquid off, and reserve it. Mix yeast and sugar into this liquid. Keep in a warm place for 48 hours.
- Transfer liquid to bottles. Add raisins or other dried fruit and close off bottles.
- The duonos gira is now ready to drink. Store bottles in cool place for up to 2 months.