Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dirty Rice is a traditional Cajun dish made from white rice cooked with small pieces of chicken liver or giblets, which give it a dark ("dirty") color.
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lb (225g) chicken gizzards (optional)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ lb (110g) pork, Ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1½ stalks celery
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ bell pepper, green
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups pork stock
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ lb (225g) chicken livers (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- Mince onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Grind livers and gizzards.
- Place fat, gizzards, pork and bay leaves in large heavy skillet over high heat; cook until meat is thoroughly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, Tabasco, salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, cumin, thyme, and oregano; stir thoroughly, scraping pan bottom well.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom well.
- Add the stock or water and stir until any mixture sticking to the pan bottom comes loose; cook about 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once.
- Then stir in the chicken livers and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir thoroughly; cover pan and turn heat to very low; cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave covered until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.