Cookbook:Curry Chicken II
|Curry Chicken II|
|Category||South Asian recipes|
My colleague Venayagaratnam ("Sri" from Sri Lanka) gave me this recipe, and I enjoyed it the first time I made it.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (see Tips)
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, crushed
- 8 pieces chicken thighs, cut up
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter chicken masala powder
- 1½ cups water
- In a cooking vessel, put oil and chopped onion, and sauté until light brown.
- In medium-high temperature, add chicken and salt and leave for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring in between.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and stir for 2 minutes and add curry powder and stir and leave it for 2 minutes.
- Add water and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- After that reduce heat to low flame and let it cook for 15 minutes.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- May substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder for crushed garlic
- It took me several minutes more than 15 to cook it down in the last step.
- "Parampara" Butter Chicken Mix is the spice mix Sri found for me in an Indian food store in North Carolina's Triangle area.