Cookbook:Crispy Gingerbread Cookies
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Crispy Gingerbread Cookies|
|Servings||5 1/2 dozen 4 1/2 inch cookies|
|Time||prep: 15 minutes
baking: 15 minutes
This recipe makes crispy gingerbread cookies that are used for gingerbread men. To keep the cookies crisp, store them in an air-tight container.
- 2/3 cup (~160 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (~160 g) molasses
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 tablespoon) baking soda
- 2/3 cup (~160 g) butter
- 1 egg
- 4 cups (1 quart) flour
- Put sugar, molasses, spices and salt into large saucepan.
- Bring to boil and remove from heat.
- Add the baking soda and butter and stir until butter melts.
- Quickly stir in egg, and then add flour. Mix well.
- Chill for several hours until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325 °F (170 °C)
- Roll out until thin on lightly floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook for about 15 minutes at 325 °F (170 °C) and cool on racks.
- Cookies can be decorated with royal icing.