Cookbook:Crème Brûlée III
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Crème Brûlée III|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated white sugar, divided
- Flavorings, such as vanilla, cardamom, citrus zest
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat cream and flavorings on stovetop, in a saucepan on medium heat, until simmering. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar.
- Pour a small amount of warm cream mixture into egg yolk mixture and whisk until combined. Continue adding more milk until the egg mixture is warm.
- Combine egg/cream mixture and remaining cream in saucepan. Heat again, stirring continuously, until thickened and coats back of spoon.
- Pour into ramekins (depending on size, may fill 1 to 4). Put ramekins in pan with a bit of water in the bottom, and bake for around 40 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Refrigerate a few hours until cool.
- Sprinkle on remaining ¼ cup sugar, then caramelize under broiler for about 5 minutes, checking and turning every minute to prevent burning.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes, tricks, and variations[edit | edit source]
- The cream can be substituted by milk, but the quantity of egg yolks required increases.
- When dusting the crème brûlée with sugar at the end, a thin and even coat is crucial.
- One can also finish the creme brûlée with a blowtorch instead of a broiler.
- Crème brûlée is good with a variety of flavorings, so experimentation is good.