Cookbook:Cod, Olive Oil, and Cream Sauce (Brandade de Morue)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Cod, Olive Oil, and Cream Sauce (Brandade de Morue)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb salt cod, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 cup finely-chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a microplane
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Place the salt cod in a large bowl of cold water.
- Soak for 24 hours, changing the water several times. When the fish has completely rehydrated, it is ready for the next step.
- Poach the cod in plain water for 25 minutes or until it flakes easily when tested.
- Drain and break it into pieces.
- Cook the onion in olive oil over low heat until translucent.
- In a food processor, purée the cod, onion, and garlic with half of the olive oil.
- With the motor running add the milk or cream, rest of the oil, lemon juice and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. If it is too thick, thin with milk or cream.
- Serve on toast or over potato slices, coated with olive oil and roasted in a 400ºF (200ºC) oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning once.