Jump to navigation Jump to search
Grandma Ida's Carrot Pudding
- Carrots 4-5 regular carrots or 1.5 lbs (1.25kg) baby carrots.
- Flour 1 & ¼ c. flour
- Salt 1 tsp. Salt
- Baking Powder ½ tsp
- Baking Soda ½ tsp. each baking powder and baking soda.
- Shortening 1 c. shortening (or butter, or margarine)
- Eggs 2 egg yolks (set aside whites)
- Brown Sugar 1/3 c brown sugar
- Water 1 Tbsp.
- Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp.
- Vanilla ½ tsp.
- Preheat oven to 325 F (150C).
- Cook carrots until soft, drain and mash. Set aside.
- Sift together: flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cream together: shortening (butter/margarine) and egg yolks (set aside whites)
- Add to creamed egg/shortening mix: brown sugar, cold water, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix well. Add mashed carrots to this and mix. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Finally, beat eggs whites until stiff. Fold into carrot batter. Put batter into well-greased ring mold.
- Optional: add optional chopped vegetable (peas, chopped string beans, etc.)
- Place a large shallow pan with about an inch of water in oven. Pan has to be big enough to hold ring mold. (If you don't already own such a pan, it's not necessary to buy one. Just bake without pan of water.)
- Bake 1 hour. Unmold onto a serving plate while still somewhat warm.
Deliciously made by Ida Geller Weiner (1912-2008), of New Haven CT, for Thanksgiving and other family gatherings.