Cookbook:Cao lầu (Vietnamese Pork Noodles with Greens)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cao lầu is a Vietnamese regional noodle dish which originated in Hội An, in the Quang Nam Province of central Vietnam.
This serves 3-4 people.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 300 g pork
- 2 cups (150 g) uncooked Hokkien-style rice noodles
- 2 cups (150 g) bean sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch chicken stock powder
- Turmeric powder (or paprika), just used for color
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- Lettuce and Asian greens (Basil, Cilantro, etc.)
- Chopped fresh chiles (for example Serrano chiles) in an amount to your liking
- Spring onions
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat oil and paprika.
- Fry pork with smashed garlic, soy sauce, chicken stock and spices for 3 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp water and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, put aside.
- Put hot water on heat and add sprouts, cook for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Remove sprouts, add noodles and cook noodles for 2 minutes.
- Put noodles in a bowl, on top of lettuce and greens, add pork, chopped spring onions, croûtons, and chiles.