Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cachapas are traditionally made with fresh corn, and are a summer favorite, but this easy recipe uses canned cream corn, pancake mix and whatever cheese you have on hand. Try this simple appetizer for a taste of Venezuela whenever you like.
- 1 can creamed corn (14 fl oz, 398 g)
- 3/4 cup pancake mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- cheese of your choice
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender. The mix should become thick and heavy. If not, add more corn.
- Shape the mix into small pancakes approximately 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick and about 5 inches (13 cm) in diameter. Let them cook on medium heat for about one minute on each side, or until small bubbles form on the top.
- Cachapas should be served hot, and may be accompanied with cheese (feta cheese is one option, Mexican white cheese "Cotija", Venezuelan or Columbian "Queso Blanco" ,"Queso de Mano" or "Queso Guayanes" where available).