Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Korean Cuisine
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb (450 g) beef suitable for grilling, sliced as thin as possible
- 3 green onions, sliced on the bias
- 4 button mushrooms (optional), sliced
- ½ onion (optional), thinly sliced
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) sesame oil
- 4 tsp pepper
- 1–2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp mirin (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, but marinating overnight will get the best flavor and tenderization.
- Grill the beef.
- Serve with rice.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Use same amount of soy sauce and sugar.
- If you do this a day ahead, reduce the amount of soy sauce and don't forget to put it in a refrigerator.
- Use thinly-sliced beef, available specifically for Bulgogi in some grocery stores, for best results.
- You can grill this on a table top, with a shallow pan. You can also use just a normal fry pan.
- Grill over medium-high heat and have the juice of beef and vegetables on rice.
- You may marinate the beef in cola (Coca-Cola works best) instead of using just sugar. The extra liquid helps the meat to absorb the marinade more quickly.
- You can also add 1 finely-chopped or grated Korean pear to your marinade overnight in lieu of sugar or cola. This will help tenderize the meat.