Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 lb (450 g) beef (whatever part, suitable for grilling), thin sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced in a bias
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Mirin sauce (optional)
- Slice the beef as thin as possible.
- Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl.
- Marinate beef and vegetables for at least 30 minutes. Marinating overnight will get the best flavor and tenderization.
- Grill the beef.
- Serve with rice.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Use same amount of soy sauce and sugar.
- If you do this a day ahead, reduce the amount of soy sauce and don't forget to put it in a refrigerator.
- Use thinly-sliced beef, available specifically for Bulgogi in some grocery stores, for best results.
- You can grill this on a table top, with a shallow pan. You can also use just a normal fry pan.
- Grill with medium high heat and have the juice of beef and vegetables on rice.
- You may marinate the beef in cola (Coca-Cola works best) instead of using just sugar. The extra liquid helps the meat to absorb the marinade more quickly. you can also use Mirin sauce instead of sugar.
- You can also put one finely chopped or grated Korean pear, aka Asian pear, aka Pear Apple into your marinade overnight in lieu of sugar or cola. This will help tenderize the meat.