Cookbook:Biscuits and Gravy
|Biscuits and Gravy|
Biscuits & Gravy is a dish enjoyed nearly everywhere in the United States, though it is most commonly associated with the southern states. It is a staple breakfast of most US diners.
This recipe makes about 4 servings, and relies on this biscuit recipe.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb (500 g) Ground breakfast sausage
- 3 T (15 mL) bacon grease
- 1/4 c (60 mL) flour
- 3 c (720 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp.(2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tbsp. (4 mL) ground black pepper
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Make 'cut' biscuit dough.
- Place the cut biscuits in the oven at the same time as step 3 of the gravy procedure.
- Remove from oven after 10 to 12 minutes; the biscuits should be warm when served with the gravy.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet.
- Remove the browned sausage from the skillet and reserve in a bowl, be careful to leave as much of the drippings as possible in the pan.
- Add the bacon grease to the skillet, place the skillet on low to medium-low heat.
- Once the bacon grease is up to temperature mix the flour into the grease.
- Add the milk slowly, mixing as you pour.
- Bring to a gentle boil, stir constantly scraping the bottom and edges of the skillet. Stirring keeps the gravy from becoming too lumpy or burnt.
- Continue stirring until the gravy has nearly reached the desired consistency, usually about 10 minutes.
- Add the browned sausage held in reserve.
- Remove from heat and allow to set for 1 minute.
Serving[edit | edit source]
Traditionally this breakfast is served on a plate. A common serving is two biscuits, each halved, insides face up, covered in gravy. Common side dishes are strips of bacon, hash browns, or grits.