Betty's Salad is a regional, Midwest salad created by Betty Timko and featured as a menu item at her restaurant, Timko's Soup and Such, in Toledo, Ohio. The restaurant was located in a brick building at the northwest corner of Sylvania and Douglas Roads of the Devaux Village strip mall in West Toledo . After Betty died, the restaurant closed, and her signature salad dressing is still produced and distributed at regional grocery stores.
Salad and Salad Dressing Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Salad Ingredients Layer salad ingredients in order listed below.
- Half package spinach
- 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 can bean sprouts, drained
- 1-2 cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced (optional, depending on the recipe you follow)
- 1 pound fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup salad oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Salt to taste, or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 small to medium sized onion
Mix dressing in blender and pour over salad.
Keep all ingredients refrigerated.