Jump to navigation Jump to search
| A Wikibookian disputes the factual accuracy of this book.
You can help make it accurate. Please view the relevant discussion.
Berbere is a mix of spices used in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. It consists of a fiery mix of chili and several aromatic spices.
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cardamom seed
- ½ tsp ground coriander seed
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek seed
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 cups chili flakes
- Roast everything except the pepper, chili and salt, in a heavy saucepan or cast-iron frying pan for about 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Stir in the pepper, chili and salt, and keep stirring for another 10 minutes.
- Store in a glass jar, away from sunlight.