Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs, separated and brought to room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- In a gallon of salted, boiling water, cook pasta to al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta, egg yolks, butter, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and tomato paste. Fold in cooked pasta. Set aside.
- In a spotlessly clean metal bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks with cream of tartar. Gently fold into pasta mixture.
- Pour into a parchment-lined high-sided roasting pan. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the center of a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and lower temperature to 350. Bake for another 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly on top.
- Place serving portions onto plates and garnish with basil. Serve warm.