Cookbook:Béchamel Sauce (Basic)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Béchamel Sauce (Basic)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 50 g (¼ cup) butter
- 50 g (¼ cup) white wheat flour (type 405)
- 1000 ml (4½ cups) whole milk (>3% milk fat)
- 1 small onion
- 1 fresh bay leaf
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook the roux over gentle heat for 3–5 minutes, but do not brown. This cooking is necessary to remove the floury taste.
- In a separate pot, begin heating the milk. Peel the onion, but do not cut it.
- Add the onion and bay leaf into the pot with the milk. Keep stirring until milk is heated to 80°C. Do not let the milk adhere and cook to pot bottom.
- Remove onion and bay leaf.
- Gradually whisk the heated milk into cooked roux. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cook for 15 minutes until thickened. No lumps should be present.