Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yield is 4 cups béchamel sauce.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 50g butter
- 50g white wheat flour (type 405)
- 1000ml milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup white flour
- 4½ cups whole milk (>3% milk fat)
- 1 small onion
- 1 fresh bay leaf
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a saucepan, soften the unsalted butter and knead into the flour.
- Cook the roux of butter and flour over gentle heat, but do not brown. (The roux should not have an apparent flour taste.)
- In a separate pot, begin heating the milk
- Peel the onion, but do not cut.
- Add the onion and bay leaf into the pot with the milk.
- Keep stirring until milk is heated to 80°C. Do not let the milk adhere and cook to pot bottom.
- Remove onion and bay leaf.
- Combine heated milk slowly into cooked roux. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cook for 15 minutes. No lumps should be present.