Celestia provides photo-realistic, real-time, three-dimensional viewing of the Solar System, the galaxy and the universe. It is an easy to use, freely-distributed, multi-platform, open source, software package which has become a valuable tool for astronomy education. Used in homes, schools, museums and planetariums around the world, it also is used as a visualization tool by space mission designers. Versions are available for computers running Windows, Macintosh (Mac OS X) and Linux operating systems.
Although it is optimized for 3D astronomical visualization, Celestia can be used to display and explore other 3D environments, too.
And, for some reason, many people seem to find exploring with Celestia to be a lot of fun.
- 1 About this guide
- 2 Using Celestia
- 3 Enhancing Celestia
- 4 External links
About this guide[編集]
This Guide to Celestia is intended to be a comprehensive source of information for students, educators, and other users of Celestia. It includes instructions for obtaining, installing, using, customizing, and troubleshooting the Celestia software, as well as explanations of concepts and techniques from astronomy and computer graphics as needed to fully explore and understand Celestia and its universe. It is intended to address the needs of novice, casual, and advanced users.
The Guide to Celestia is very far from complete. You can help by adding useful content. Members of the Celestia community are encouraged to be bold in editing this WikiBook to provide the additions and corrections needed to make it useful for themselves and others. Please share your knowledge here.
Icons indicate approximate development status.
Of course, all pages are subject to improvement at any time.
How to use Celestia is described in detail in Frank Gregorio's Celestia 1.6.0 User's Guide.
Getting Celestia to Run[編集]
Exploring Celestia's Universe[編集]
- Getting Started: some usage examples
- Snapshots and Movies
The following reference pages will help you to add features and make Celestia easier to use in your environment.
- Scripting Overview
- Catalog Files: Defining new Objects
- Positioning Objects: Flying through Time and Space
- Keeping up Appearances
- Specifying the Correct Time: TDB is not UTC
- Development: Compiling Celestia for yourself
- Development Road Map: Planned improvements and new features.
- Versions: Major Celestia milestones.
- Bugs and Feature Requests
- Internationalization (Celestia i18n): Contributing to the translation of Celestia
- Acknowledgements: Contributors to Celestia and to this WikiBook.
- A-level Physics/Cosmology
- Glossary of Astronomical Terms
- Solar System
- Wikijunior:Solar System
- Introduction to Astrophysics
- Transformative Applications in Education/Celestia
- The Universe Made Simple
Celestia Web Sites[編集]
- http://celestiaproject.net/ - Home of Celestia
- http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21302 - Celestia binaries and source code
- http://celestiaproject.net/forum/ - Celestia Discussion Forum
- http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/ - Selden's List of Resources for Celestia
- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia - German wikipedia
- http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia - French wikipedia
- http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia - French WikiBook
- http://www.ikiru.ch/celestia/wiki/index.php/Accueil - French Celestia Wiki
- http://celestia.albacete.org/ - Web page with a lot of activities (Spanish)
- http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/ - The main add-ons repository
- http://www.celestialmatters.org/ - Celestial Matters web site: Celestia add-ons and other content of interest to Celestia users
- http://forum.celestialmatters.org/index.php - Celestial Matters forum
- http://www.ikiru.ch/celestia/ - French repository of add-ons with eMule links --old
- http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php - A website containing detailed Celestia educational resources and journeys
- http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewforum.php?f=6 - Celestial Matters - F-TexTools and refereed Add-ons
Articles about Celestia[編集]
- http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/exploring-space-celestia - Linux Journal article Exploring Space with Celestia by Mike Diehl, July 15, 2008.
- http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/58/Celestia_3D_Space_Simulation.pdf - Linux magazine article Touring the galaxy with Celestia STAR JOURNEY by Kristian Kissling, Issue 58, September, 2005.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20051224085847/http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/mission_analysis/designtool_overview.htm - ESA Advanced Concepts Team overview of design tools, 2005.
- http://discovermagazine.com/2004/nov/emerging-technology/ - Discover magazine article Emerging Technology by Steven Johnson, September, 2004.
- http://www.tiempolibresite.com/content/view/482/2/ - Interview of Chris Laurel by TiempoLibreSite