Celestia/Development Road Map
This page is obsolete. For current information, see Ideas for post 1.7 era on GitHub.
Here's a development roadmap for Celestia (as of 6/22/07), with tasks roughly prioritized highest first.
- Don't require LuaHook for scripted orbits and rotations
- Fix cloud shadows
Celestia v1.5.0pre3 for Windows was made available on May 24, 2007. A list of the accumulated changes and the location for downloading the Windows installer are at http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11082&
- Changes to standard data files:
- new Eros model
- new ISS and Mir models
- new Itokawa model
- Fix stars
- Allow star orbits to be toggled separately from planet orbits
- Eliminate OrbitBarycenter
- Adjust near clip plane for FOV (to preserve depth buffer precision)
- Don't show labels for star system barycenters
- Fix SSC texture override for meshes
Celestia v1.5.0pre4 for Windows was made available on October 29, 2007. Not all of the hoped-for improvements were included, but many bugs were fixed. A list of the accumulated changes and the location for downloading the Windows installer are at http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11605&
Celestia v1.5.0pre5 for Windows was made available on December 18, 2007. Not all of the hoped-for improvements were included, but many bugs were fixed. A list of the accumulated changes and the location for downloading the Windows installer are at http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11807
Celestia v1.5.0pre6 for Windows was made available on January 21, 2008. Not all of the hoped-for improvements were included, but many bugs were fixed. A list of the accumulated changes and the location for downloading the Windows installer are at http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11932
Celestia 1.5.0 final
Celestia v1.5.0 for Windows and MacOS X, as well as a tarball of its source code, was made available on January 26, 2008. It can be downloaded from SourceForge.
Not all of the hoped-for improvements listed below were included, but many bugs were fixed. A list of the accumulated changes is available at http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11953
- Changes to standard data files:
- Switch to new rotation model forms
- Make dense atmospheres work better
- Fix artifacts from linear interpolation across triangles
- Fix too-dark sky at zenith
- Automatic conversion of new style atmosphere parameters to old ones
- Default body frame is based on parent, not center of orbit frame; is this right?
- Fix depth sorting of labels
Change of plans: Celestia v1.5.1 will be strictly a bug-fix release, plus translations which were not included in v1.5.0. Features listed below which weren't in v1.5.0 will be included in v1.6.0.
- Script function to show / hide individual objects
- Script menu Already completed for 1.5.0
- Make quaternion slerp more robust Already completed for 1.5.0
- Double precision SampledOrbits Already completed for 1.5.0
- Pulsar catalog?
- Triaxial ellipsoids for solar system bodies
- Fix multiple star handling in star database builder
- Bug fixing
Celestia v1.5.1 for Windows and MacOS X was made available on May 5, 2008. It can be downloaded from SourceForge.
For a more up-to-date list of features considered or implemented for Celestia v1.6.0, see the WikiPage Celestia/160Features.
- User-definable object classes
- More flexible means to choose which orbits to display (custom classes)
- Allow orbits to be shown in any reference frame
- Functions to deal with object classes
- Expose 1.5.0 reference frames in scripts
- Vector and orientation parameters for ScriptedOrbits and ScriptedRotations
- Labeled markers
- Allow different reference frames for markers
- Texture improvements:
- Use lower resolution virtual texture tiles for surface patches farther from camera
- Improve texture memory management
- Multi-threaded texture loader
- Optimize galaxy rendering: point sprites, vertex buffers instead of immediate mode.
- Allow lists of kernel files
- Manage loaded kernels
- C-kernel rotation model
- Generic frame rotation model
- Goto fixes:
- Fix center orbit (currently assumes infinitely distant target)
- Goto barycenter should pick a distance based on size of the orbits around the barycenter.
- SampledOrbit / SampledOrientation:
- Periodic SampledOrbits
- Support cubic interpolation of SampledOrientation files
- New Earth rotation CustomRotations--precession, nutation, IRTF93
- Internal changes:
- Implement velocity method for all orbit types
- Change internal time scale to be Julian days relative to J2000.0
- Use J2000 ecliptic coordinate system throughout Celestia
- CachingRotation base class
- More accurate lunar orbit
- Depth sort location labels (new drawable type: label cluster)
- New data:
- Create model for comet Tempel 1
- Create model for asteroid (66391) 1999 KW4 and its moon
- Eliminate the .cms format
Celestia v1.6.0 for Windows and MacOS X, as well as a tarball of its source code, was made available on July 9, 2009. It can be downloaded from SourceForge.
- Spacecraft fly mode
- Network Server Separated
- Dynamic milky way model
- Earth, Moon, Saturn Ring Details
- Support Collada (.dae)
- Dynamic loading and unloading of add-ons
- Make add-ons easier to install
- Multiple names for solar system objects (done)
- For stars, do antialiased points in shader
- 3D graphic objects in scripts
- Reference frames
- Named frames
- Rotation offset frames
- Two-vector frames: closest point vectors
- Self shadowing for complex objects
- Address 16k light year limit (done)
- Supernova catalog?
- High dynamic range lighting - photorealism
- Light scattering model for rings
- Major UI improvements
- Advance Visual effects