Trainz/file types by extensions
Trainz File Types
In addition to the following list of file types, Trainz also makes extensive use of several common file types one might observe in any Windows installation set up for office or home use without the Trainz simulator, but especially various common image file formats such as .bmp, .jpg, .png, and for textures: the less common .TGA standardized file types. Most non-image file types are of the .txt (plain text) format which trainz uses extensively as ini files to control texturing and for config.txt files found within every asset self-definition folder.
These common file types will often be set off by links to the apropos en.Wikipedia articles. The following list attempts to be comprehensive, so also includes file extensions of older/obsolete as well as current file types used in the newer graphics models. Trainz major data model transitions took place during Trainz 2004, Trainz 2009, and Trainz 2012. Prior to TRS2004 config.txt files were coded BOM, and many assets will still have a BOM on the first line.
- Animation, for example a steam locomotive's connecting rod movements, or water movement on a river or lake.
- Bookmark. Used to track and record the current camera position in Surveyor.
- Content Dispatcher Pack. A file used by Auran and some other content creators to distribute additional assets. A CDP file can contain one or more assets.
- Content Dispatcher Pack Archive. An archive version of the CDP format, used by Auran to place an asset off the main database into axillary data bases controlled by the user, while keeping the asset in a loadable form. Archived assets are no longer selectable when building a route or session, but because they are still indexed, an asset which needs the dependency can still load it. Use primarily to put aside assets needed in something you want to run, but would never use in creation. Example: A North American Trainzer might archive all the Non-American rolling stock and locos, or signs or architectures not likely useful in any route he may build.
- Content Dispatcher Pack 2. A new version of the CDP format, used by Auran and some other content creators to distribute additional assets for Trainz Classics.
- Used to store the program's configuration details. This is a widely used file type, but the format is specific to each program.
- Cache file.
- The terrain file that contains the topographic details of a map. This is the file that is produced and replaced when creating a map from DEM data.
- GameScript source file.
- GameScript encoded file.
- GameScript library file.
- GameScript template file.
- Indexed 3D mesh.
- Jet Archive. Contains compressed copies of multiple assets.
- Kinematics. Associated with animations such as pantographs.
- Progressive 3D mesh. Obsolescent after TRS2004, but still in many older DLS assets.
SRT Files are the mesh files for displaying SpeedTree items such as trees or grass.
The SRT file contains all of the geometric and texture mapping data needed to render a tree object as well as data for wind movement animation.
N3V Games provides no editing or manipulation programs for SpeedTree files. Third-party SpeedTree creation may be undertaken under license between the content creator and IDV Inc. Reverse engineered files from the UDK version of SpeedTree are prohibited for Trainz use under the terms of the IDVInc license.
The game has session-wide adjustments for the wind movement effect in the environment section of Surveyor.
- A 2D texture which can be applied to a surface of a 3D object. Generally BMP, JPG, and most often the preferred TGA file types.
- Usually found with a .GND file, contains information about the trackwork of a layout.
- Trackside Object. The variations in a layout that are required for a specific scenario, for example extra trackmarks and triggers.