Cookbook:Whole Wheat Bread (Vegan)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 C warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 2 T (or 2 packages) of active dry yeast
- 1 pinch unrefined sugar
- 1 C soy milk
- 1/3 C (packed) unrefined sugar
- 3 T vegan butter or margarine
- 1 T salt
- 1 1/2 C walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 C soft tofu (mashed), stir until chunks are minimal (egg replacement or 1 T ground flax seed also works)
- 2 1/2 C cups fine-milled or medium-milled whole wheat flour
- 3 7/8 C unbleached all-purpose white flour
- In a small bowl stir up the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, add a pinch of unrefined sugar. Let the yeast activate for 10 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl add the other 1/2 cup water, milk, unrefined sugar, melted vegan margarine, salt, tofu, and whole wheat flour. Stir with wooden spoon until creamy.
- Add the yeast mixture which should be foamy by now. Add walnuts. Add in the unbleached wheat flour a little at a time. Stir until the dough is too thick for the spoon then put the dough on a lightly floured cutting board or counter top and mix by hand. When all the flour is added, knead dough for around 5-7 minutes. Cover dough with a towel and let rise for around 1 to 1.5 hours. Dough should double in size.
- Knock the dough down once then place 2 equal portions of the dough into 2 greased pans. If you want the loaves to look fancy do this: roll dough into 4 separate dough "snakes". Twist 2 of these together to make a nice looking intertwined loaf. Let rise about 45 minutes.
- Brush tops of loaves with melted margarine (keeps them from drying out) and dust with cinnamon, uncooked oatmeal or white flour (aesthetics). Bake in oven preheated to 375F for around 35 minutes. When done, loaves will sound hollow when tapped.