Gentgeen's Campfire Trout is the recipe Gentgeen uses to cook trout caught while camping. This method can be used at home with trout purchased at the fish market, but somehow never tastes quite as good.
- 2 whole cleaned trout, between 10 and 14 inches
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- lemon, salt, and pepper, to taste
Serves 4, or 2 hungry fishermen.
- Make a pan out of aluminum foil slightly larger than your two fish. The pan should have a double layer of foil on the bottom and a lip around the edge of about 3/4 - 1 inch height.
- Place the pan on a grill over the campfire. Put the butter into the pan and allow to begin melting. Wrap each trout with 2 strips of bacon. Add the trout to the pan. Season to taste.
- After the trout has cooked for a few minutes (5-7 depending on the size of the fish), check the inside. If the side close to the fire is white and flakes easily, the fish is ready to turn. Flip the fish, and continue cooking the other side for 3-4 minutes until done.
Serve with lemon over a bed of white rice.