From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 lb (450g) ziti or other pasta
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) marinara sauce
- 1 lb (450g) grated mozzarella
- 1/2 (225g) lb ricotta
- 4 oz (110g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tblsp basil, chopped fine
- 2 tblsp oregano, chopped fine
- 3 tblsp Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup (120ml) bread crumbs
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (225 °C). Coat a large baking dish with olive oil.
- Mix ricotta, egg, basil, oregano, parsley and about half of the mozzarella and Parmesan in a large bowl until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook ziti in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- In a large bowl or pot, toss ziti with marinara sauce (and optional pepper flakes) until noodles are covered. Stir in ricotta mixture and fold until it begins to melt. Pour mixture into greased dish and spread it out with a spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over the top, then sprinkle bread crumbs over cheese.
- Bake at 425 °F (225 °C) for 20 minutes or until cheese on top turns golden and begins to bubble.