Wireless Mesh Networks/Motivation
Motivation[edit | edit source]
Below are listed of several reasons on why the "hacktivist" are keen on developing the mesh network technology
Digital Divide[edit | edit source]
In rural area, there are often lack of Internet access. There are few projects in the world that tries to bridge the digital divide in the rural area.
(1) (India) SARI (Sustainable Access in Rural Area)
Mesh network created India to let the rural India have access to Internet 
(2) (India) Aravind Teleophthalmology Kiosk
Mesh network created to let the patients self diagnosed himself in a kiosk and send the results to the doctors who maybe hundreds of kilometer away
(3) (Tibet) Dharamsala Wireless Mesh Network
In remote northern India region of Dharamsala where the Internet connection is patchy and unreliable, a group of networking experts helped the local people to set up the network.Using recycled PC parts and materials for antenna, they managed to connect over 2000 devices to the mesh networks itself.
(4) (Nepal) Nepal Wireless
In remote mountain of Nangi ,Mahabir Pun uses TV relay dishes to connect to Internet using the relays of mesh network. In May 2002, with help of university students, the Internet signal from Pokhara is sending Internet signal to Mohare
Service Provider[edit | edit source]
(1) (South Africa) Mesh Potato by Village Telco
Mesh Potato is the wifi based mesh network services that provided data and free voice call to anyone in the network 
(2) (Germany) BBNG / Citizen Broadband Network Company
In a population of few hundreds people, a small village Löwenstedt decided to take the slow patchy Internet connections by building their own Internet mesh network
(3) (United States) DBUIA / Doe Bay Internet User Associations
A group of neighbours frustrated by the Century Link patchy internet connections decided to establish their own Internet network
Public Service[edit | edit source]
Hobbyist[edit | edit source]
(1) (Greece)Free sharing culture inside the Greece community
(2) (Wall Street) Occupy Wall Street - Freedom Tower
The Internet we knew is under huge surveillance by NSA and now the Freedom tower is creating the other Internet which will provide freedom
Inside of Facility[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Sustainable Access in Rural Area". http://edev.media.mit.edu/SARI/mainsari.html.
- "Teleophthalmology". http://laico.org/v2020resource/files/Atn.pdf.
- "A Wireless Network for 'Little Lhasa'". http://www.npr.org/2006/08/10/5631353/a-wireless-network-for-little-lhasa.
- "Mahabir Pun uses the internet to improve life in remote parts of Nepal". http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health/article/1521996/mahabir-pun-uses-internet-improve-life-remote-parts-nepal.
- "Village Telco: A WiFi-based mesh network that offers voice and data services anywhere". http://vc4africa.biz/blog/2012/03/09/village-telco-a-wifi-based-mesh-network-that-offers-voice-and-data-services-anywhere/.
- "German Villaers Build Own Network". http://www.thelocal.de/20140601/german-villagers-build-own-broadband-network.
- "How a group of neighbors created their own Internet service". http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/how-a-group-of-neighbors-created-their-own-internet-service/.
- "Strix: Government". http://www.strixsystems.com/solutions/government.asp.
- "Mesh Networks: A Revolution in Wireless Connectivity". http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/whitepaper.aspx?docid=176166.
- "Mesh Networks in Greece". http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/mesh-internet-privacy-nsa-isp.
- "How Occupy Wall Street Is Building Its Own Internet". http://mashable.com/2011/11/14/how-occupy-wall-street-is-building-its-own-internet-video/.