Wings 3D/User Manual/Glossary
Glossary of terms
- Ambient color
- The overall color of an object. When rendering scene ambiance is multiplied by face ambiance.
- The intensity of a light through the scene as it diminishes with distance from the source.
- The interior side of a face on a solid object.
- A mathematically defined curve formed by the placement of control points.
- Machine readable files created by compiling source code.
- A 3D object composed of vertices, edges, and faces.
- Bounding box
- Generally, the minimum volume that can contain a selection. However, a single vertex bounding box is 0 and a single edge bounding box is two dimensional.
- Box modeling
- A common term for the type of polygon modelling used in Wings3D.
- Central edge loop
- A set of edges that completely encircles a model on one of the primary axes, usually the Z axis, for example as the center line of a head.
- Chart packing
- This is the last step that happens before the AutoUV window appears, i.e. each 2d chart is placed somewhere on texture.
- Control Cage
- The model in shaded wireframe mode prior to any smoothing operation.
- Crease angle
- The angle between two faces that share an edge.
- Diffuse color
- The overall color of a surface absent any highlights, like a matte surface.
- Display Mode
- The way a model appears on the screen, solid shaded, smooth shaded, or wireframe.
- Moving the camera in and out towards or away from the model; i.e. zooming.
- The boundary between two faces having exactly two vertices; the line joining two vertices together.
- Edge Loop
- A set of edges that connect at vertices with 4 way intersections.
- Edge Rings
- The lateral edges that run between two adjacent edge loops.
- A graphic element in the scene that can be selected; a vertex, edge, face, body, or a light are all elements of a scene.
- A color setting that affect the overall self illumination of the object.
- An element of an object consisting of a set of interconnected edges.
- Facet subdivision
- Breaking down a component of two dimensions (i.e. a face) into more and more faceted surfaces (faces) without doing any smoothing.
- GNU GPL
- GNU General Public License, one of the most popular OpenSource licensing agreements. GNU stands for GNU is Not Unix.
- Ground plane
- Usually an imaginary plane used as the horizontal reference plane.
- Graphic User Interface.
- A light setting, which causes the light to fall off in a linear manner.
- The underlying surface properties of an object or faces on an object. A material is different than a color or a texture. Color is but one component of a material and can be applied to vertices as well, and textures can be applied over a material.
- A 3D object composed of interconnected faces, usually composed of triangles, quads and n-gons.
- Metaform Subdivision
- A subdivision method which shows the smoothed model with the unsmoothed cage floating about it.
- A face with more than 4 sides.
- A vector that extends outward perpendicular to a graphic element.
- NURBS curve
- Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines; a mathematically defined curve of infinite resolution.
- A self contained solid body composed of vertices, edges, and faces also known as a body.
- The level of transparency for a face as set in the Material Editor.
- Organic model
- A model of non-manufactured item, such as living (organic) things.
Below is the Wings3d manual ver. 1.6 converted to text. I didn't have time to figure out how to add another page to the wiki so I dumped it here. I'll try to start moving content to its proper place forthwith. regards, takayuki
Edit: Moved this to Wings 3D: User Manual/Text Version (From PDF)