Wikijunior:What can you use math for?
About the book
Welcome to the Wikijunior "What can you use math for?" project.
Our society is in need of people who know math. A big motivation for learning math in the first place is to have some idea of what it can be used for. This is an attempt at catching children early on, and giving them some ideas of what math can be used for: both now, and later in life.
Please add any article that you think will spark interest instead of quelling it. Thanks.
A guide to what children may be able to use maths for, now and in the future.
- Find out how much candy to get for 50$, while in a store.
- Build a boat
- Find the number of squares on a chessboard, without counting
- Draw pictures with graphs
- Know the easiest way to do something (optimization)
- Make a video game (programming)
- Know the best move in a game
- Solve puzzles like Rubik's cubes, Tower of Hanoi, and Sudoku (logic)