Wikijunior:North America/United States/Oregon
Oregon is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Oregon became the 33rd state admitted to the union on February 14, 1859. Oregon is located on the Pacific coast between Washington to the north, California to the south, Nevada on the southeast and Idaho to the east. The state capital is Salem and its largest city is Portland. Residents are known as Oregonians.
Oregon is the ninth largest state in the US with a total area of 98,381 square miles (254,810km2). It borders Washington to the north, Idaho to the east, California to the south, and Nevada to the southeast. Oregon also has approximately 362 miles (583 km) of coastline along the Pacific Ocean. Oregon's highest point is the summit of Mount Hood at 11,249 feet (3,429 m).
The United States Census Bureau estimated the population of Oregon was 4,217,871 in 2019.
In 2016, 85.1% of people in Oregon were White/Caucasian, 1.9% were black, 1.1% were Native American, 4.0% were Asian, and 0.4% were Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.
- The state nickname is "The Beaver State" (unofficial)
- The state motto is "Alis Volat Propriss." It is Latin for "She Flies With Her Own Wings."
- The state animal is the American beaver
- The state beverage is milk
- The state bird is the Western meadowlark
- The state crustacean is the Dungeness crab
- The state dance is the square dance
- The state father is Dr. John McLoughlin
- The state fish is the Chinook salmon
- The state flower is the Oregon grape
- The state fossil is Metasequoia
- The state fruit is the pear
- The state gemstone is the Oregon sunstone
- The state hostess is Miss Oregon
- The state insect is the Oregon swallowtail
- The state Microbe is Brewer's yeast
- The state mother is Tabitha Brown
- The state mushroom is the Pacific golden chanterelle
- The state nut is the hazelnut
- The state rock is the Thunderegg
- The state seashell is the Oregon hairy triton
- The state soil is Jory soil
- The state song is "Oregon, My Oregon"
- The state pageant is the Champoeg Historical Pageant
- The state team is the Portland Trail Blazers of 1990-91
- The state tree is the Douglas fir