Wikijunior:North America/United States/Washington
Washington is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Washington was carved out of the western part of Washington Territory and admitted to the Union as the 42nd state in 1889. The state is named after George Washington, the first President of the United States. Washington is often called Washington state or the State of Washington to distinguish it from the District of Columbia (which is usually called Washington, D.C.).
The Pacific coast is relatively flat, but it soon rises up into rainy coastal mountains. Further east, there are the even higher and rainier Cascades, but the eastern part of the state is mostly high and relatively dry plains with a few deep and impressive river canyons.
Bill Gates lives in Seattle.
- The state is nicknamed the Evergreen State (unofficial)
- The state motto is "Alki", which translates to "Bye and Bye" in Chinook Jargon (unofficial)
- The state amphibian is the Pacific Chorus Frog
- The state fish is the Steelhead Trout
- The state flower is the Pacific Rhododendron
- The state fruit is the Apple
- The state grass is Bluebunch Wheatgrass
- The state insect is the Green Darner Dragonfly
- The state marine mammal is the Orca
- The state tree is the Western Hemlock
- The state vegetable is the Walla Walla Sweet Onion
- The state fossil is the fossil of the Columbia Mammoth
- The state gem is Petrified Wood
- The state dance is the Square Dance