From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
< Wikijunior:Africa
Jump to: navigation, search
The flag of Nigeria

Nigeria, official name: Federal Republic of Nigeria (nicknamed the Giant of Africa), is a country located in Western Africa. Nigeria's capital is Abuja, but the largest city of Nigeria is Lagos. The anthem of Nigeria is "Arise, O Compatriots", and the motto of Nigeria is "Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress". Nigeria's current president is Muhammadu Buhari, and the currency of Nigeria is the Nigerian naira.


Map of Nigeria

Nigeria is located in Western Africa. To the west is Benin, to the east are Chad and Cameroon, and Niger to the north. Towards the south of Nigeria is the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean. The country of Nigeria contain 36 states, the most popular one being Lagos in the southwest part of Nigeria.



Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, due to their place of being the 21st largest economy in the world in terms of normal GDP (Gross domestic product: represents the total market value of goods and services a given year).

Nigeria produces a lot of goods for the West African region.


There are over 180 million people living in Nigeria. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, and the seventh most populous country in the whole world. The largest ethnic groups in Nigeria are the Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa-Fulani, which make up the 71% percent of Nigeria. The remaining 29% is 1/3 of groups numbering of a huge population, each! The remaining 300+ ethnic groups go for 1/5 of the population.


Africa satellite orthographic.jpg
  Wikijunior Africa edit

Botswana Democratic Republic of the Congo Egypt Lesotho
Rwanda South Africa Zimbabwe Morocco Nigeria