Wikibooks:Reading room/Technical Assistance

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to: navigation, search
Replacement filing cabinet.svgArchivesWikibooks Discussion Rooms
Discussions Assistance Requests
General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books General | Technical | Administrative Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions

Welcome to the Technical Assistance reading room. Get assistance on questions related to MediaWiki markup, CSS, JavaScript, and such as they relate to Wikibooks. This is not a general-purpose technical support room.

To submit a bug notice or feature request for the MediaWiki software, visit Phabricator.

To get more information about the MediaWiki software, or to download your own copy, visit MediaWiki

There are also two IRC channels for technical help: #mediawiki for issues about the software, and #wikimedia-tech for WMF server or configuration issues.

some chhanges to Template:Blocked[edit]

hey guys! i've edited the template and i made it look very awesome! MIKEL S. SARWONO 04:51, 20 December 2016 (UTC)

@MIKEL S. SARWONO: I have reverted the changes, at least for the moment. In my view, the short-and-sweet original phrasing ("You cannot edit indefinitely due to disruptive editing") is clearer than the extended version, and the fine print is better explained through the relevant policy pages such as Wikibooks:Blocking policy (also note that the link to it ended up losing emphasis after the modifications). Perhaps the discussion here will result in a consensus in favour of adding more information to the template; in any case, it is probably better to discuss proposed changes to core administrative templates before applying them. --Duplode (discusscontribs) 18:28, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
@MIKEL S. SARWONO: I have also reverted your second change to the template, which was done in the 12 minute interval between my first revert and the posting of my comment just above. The same reasons mentioned above apply. Even though the second attempt is better than the first one, I still don't see it as an improvement ("You cannot edit" is clearer than "You have been blocked" for someone who isn't familiar with the meaning of "block" in Wikibooks), and in any case it is better to discuss the changes here first. By the way, it is not clear why you have attempted to delete this thread just after my revert, specially given that I mentioned it in the summary to the edit in the template. --Duplode (discusscontribs) 18:40, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
The question rings... Why is there a need for a change?. Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 20:56, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
After looking at his centralauth and his pattern of editing I have indefinitely blocked this account. MIKEL S. SARWONO is an account that is part of this "movement" to alter block/warn templates and mediawiki texts relating to blocking. Users/IPs like MIKEL S. SARWONO have been blocked in the past for this type of editing. As a result, we have no other choice but to do the same for this user. Thanks and hope you understand the situation. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 15:28, 22 December 2016 (UTC)

Unable to show gadgets or the editing toolbar[edit]

Hello, I am trying to get the editing toolbar to show up, however I am unable to see it or any gadgets. I have disabled all gadgets, and tried to disable all custom javascript and css that I can find. I have not been using this account for a few years :) -Arlen22 (talk) 14:33, 22 December 2016 (UTC)

  • Looks like AdBlock might have been the problem. Works now. -Arlen22 (talk) 14:37, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
A hearty welcome back to you. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 15:28, 22 December 2016 (UTC)

Javascript error: mw.util.$content is null[edit]

I'm getting this JS error (on all pages on Wikibooks):

Exception in module-execute in module ext.gadget.extlinks: TypeError: mw.util.$content is null

Is it perhaps something to do with not being loaded by the extlinks gadget? Sam Wilson 06:58, 2 January 2017 (UTC)

This bug is present on every wiki I know for one month, forcing us to refresh one or two times our different navigators to get our toolbars. This was supposed to fix it but there's nothing efficient I could find from now. So I'm willing to test your solution if no one does it before tomorrow. JackPotte (discusscontribs) 08:39, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for looking into it! It's certainly a bit broken — not even search autocomplete works for me at the moment, because no page JS is loaded properly. Happy new year by the way! :-) Sam Wilson 08:50, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
I think autocomplete wasn't working here for me yesterday; it's working now though. --Pi zero (discusscontribs) 15:25, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
@Samwilson: Also, from time to time some of the older gadgets break because of software changes, and in breaking they kill everything else if they're selected. --Pi zero (discusscontribs) 16:19, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
Yes, turning off the extlinks gadget makes everything okay for me. Thanks! Sam Wilson 23:07, 2 January 2017 (UTC)