Wikibooks:Reading room/Technical Assistance
|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions|
To submit a bug notice or feature request for the MediaWiki software, visit Phabricator.
To get more information about the MediaWiki software, or to download your own copy, visit MediaWiki
Renaming Book Pages
How do I rename a Book Page? When I change the name of the Book Page, it seems that the link to the old page is broken and I have copy the old content to the new page that was created as a result of renaming. TIA!
- @Rjbfigueroa: Can you give an example of a page you wanted to move, and where you wanted to move it to, so we can see what happened?
Fwiw, here's how to move a page, if you're using Vector skin (in the desktop interface, rather than the mobile one): View the page you want to move (not its talk page). There should be a control bar at the top of the browser, and way over on the far right of it there should be a dropdown menu. The only option on that menu should be either "rename" or "move"; use that. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs)
Changing a "directory"
In the Oberon book, I've been advised to change "Oberon/S3/" to "Oberon/ETH Oberon/". This is more than one change. There is at least one directory and several pages under Oberon/S3/. Most of these pages are original as created by me or have been revised once or twice by me. Few or none have been changed by another editor. I understand how to move a page to a new location. Alternatively I can create a new page and mark the old one for deletion. Pertinent question: is a deleted page archived or deleted absolutely? Deletion would avoid the clutter of links from moving. Which is preferable in this case: move or recreate and delete? Thanks, ... PeterEasthope (discuss • contribs) 14:16, 25 June 2020 (UTC)
- @PeterEasthope: A few miscellaneous technical points, fwiw.
- An admin can move a page and all its subpages, and can do it without leaving redirects behind.
- We ordinarily prefer to move pages, to keep the edit history; partly for copyright purposes, but also as, really, historical record of the evolution of the page.
- Deleted pages remain in the wiki database; they're visible to admins, and can be undeleted.
- --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 15:27, 25 June 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks Pi zero.
- "An admin can move a page and all its subpages, and can do it without leaving redirects behind."
- A third possibility I had failed to notice.
- "We ordinarily prefer to move pages, to keep the edit history; partly for copyright purposes, but also as, really, historical record of the evolution of the page."
- OK; to respect advised name usage, please move Oberon/S3 and everything below that to Oberon/ETH_Oberon. (Or "Oberon/ETH Oberon" if the underscore is implicit.) After the move I can search out links to S3/* and fix them. Earlier today I should have requested such a move for the sitemap page rather than recreate the page and request deletion. Similarly in earlier cases.
- "Deleted pages remain in the wiki database; they're visible to admins, and can be undeleted."
Hi, I have a request which I'd describe as "creation of a redirect". I created the page Oberon/Contributors. Subsequently salvaged the old ETH Hall of fame to Oberon/hall. Later incorporated Contributors into the hall page. Now I wonder: can Oberon/Contributors redirect to Oberon/hall? A page move won't accomplish the objective. Duplicating the information from one page to the other will lead to update errors. So probably administrative assistance is needed. Thanks, ... PeterEasthope (discuss • contribs) 14:47, 5 August 2020 (UTC)
- You can do this yourself by adding #REDIRECT [[Oberon/hall]] to the Contributors page. QuiteUnusual (discuss • contribs) 17:00, 5 August 2020 (UTC)
Numbered description list?
Can the items of a description list be numbered automatically? The help document claims that list styles can be nested but I failed to make a description inside a numbered list. My failure is here. The intended format is here. Thanks, ... PeterEasthope (discuss • contribs) 16:26, 14 August 2020 (UTC)