|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions|
Welcome to the General reading room. On this page, Wikibookians are free to talk about the Wikibooks project in general. For proposals for improving Wikibooks, see the Proposals reading room.
Why anons and new users cannot view edit filters?
- An abuse filter is largely about, well, pest control. Most vandals think it's clever to do damage to things other people use (as opposed to, say, being abysmally stupid to lower the quality of the world they themselves live in), but are just doing it on the spur of the moment. So there's no point in making it easier to learn quickly about how to cause trouble, for people who are just investing a few minutes causing trouble. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 13:37, 27 May 2016 (UTC)
Compact Language Links enabled in this wiki today
Compact Language Links has been available as a beta-feature on all Wikimedia wikis since 2014. With compact language links enabled, users are shown a much shorter list of languages on the interlanguage link section of an article (see image). Based on several factors, this shorter list of languages is expected to be more relevant for them and valuable for finding similar content in a language known to them. More information about compact language links can be found in the documentation.
From today onwards, compact language links has been enabled as the default listing of interlanguage links on this wiki. Using the button at the bottom, you will be able to see a longer list of all the languages the article has been written in. The setting for this compact list can be changed by using the checkbox under User Preferences -> Appearance -> Languages
The compact language links feature has been tested extensively by the Wikimedia Language team, which developed it. However, in case there are any problems or other feedback please let us know on the project talk page. It is to be noted that on some wikis the presence of an existing older gadget that was used for a similar purpose may cause an interference for compact language list. We would like to bring this to the attention of the admins of this wiki. Full details are on this phabricator ticket. Thank you. On behalf of the Wikimedia Language team:--Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (discuss • contribs) 07:26, 24 June 2016 (UTC)
- It's hard to believe this feature can be what it sounds like. Providing more language links, more carefully customized to be useful, is a basic way for projects to support each other by providing more links to each other; this is why farming out such links to wikidata is so fundamentally damaging to all projects (the least damaged being Wikipedias, which can most easily rearrange their articles to use all exactly the same headings as the biggest Wikipedias). But to deliberately further reduce the number of language links — this sounds like deliberate sabotage of the entire sisterhood. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 10:30, 24 June 2016 (UTC)
Editing News #2—2016
m:User:Elitre (WMF), 17:20, 3 July 2016 (UTC)
Open call for Project Grants
Greetings! The Project Grants program is accepting proposals from July 1st to August 2nd to fund new tools, research, offline outreach (including editathon series, workshops, etc), online organizing (including contests), and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds, Project Grants can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.
- Submit a grant request or draft your proposal in IdeaLab
- Get help with your proposal in an upcoming Hangout session
- Learn from examples of completed Individual Engagement Grants or Project and Event Grants
Also accepting candidates to join the Project Grants Committee through July 15.
With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 15:21, 5 July 2016 (UTC)