|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions|
Welcome to the General reading room. On this page, Wikibookians are free to talk about the Wikibooks project in general. For proposals for improving Wikibooks, see the Proposals reading room.
Help with creating a large physics books funded by the National Science Foundation
Oskar Vafek, a physics professor at Florida State University received a grant to create a wiki physics book. I emailed him and suggested uploading it to Wikibooks, and he asked for some suggestions on how to do this given the large number of pages in the book. I am unsure what the answer is. How do the writers here suggest uploading hundreds of pages of information? Thank you. Waters.Justin (discuss • contribs)
- Thanks for suggesting Wikibooks. We would be happy to accept such a monumental project and will likely add it to our featured books if this happens. ^^ I don't know of a way to transfer the pages here directly at present. Perhaps Special:Import could be set up to accept pages from the book's original wiki, though we'll probably need community consensus and ask at Phabricator for that (and I'm not sure if it's actually possible). Another possibility is to copy-and-paste everything here, and then put up a link to the original page in our discussion page here. This may be very time-consuming, though if every active member of the community moved something here, it's definitely possible.
- There's one important concern before we do anything, though. Is the licence compatible with Wikibooks' CC-BY-SA licence? (I've tried looking for the licence on their About page, but login is required to view it.) Kayau (talk · contribs) 00:11, 6 August 2015 (UTC)
- There are great examples about large and complex topics like mathematical analysis (as one part of a series of lectures). It might help to study such examples and the way they are created. --Kelti (discuss • contribs) 07:33, 6 August 2015 (UTC)
- That Wiki is running MediaWiki. We can almost certainly import it here, without a Phab ticket - someone with an account there can export it to XML and then it can be imported here by a Steward. It'll probably need some testing first though just to be sure it'll work properly. QuiteUnusual (discuss • contribs) 08:09, 6 August 2015 (UTC)
Proposal to create PNG thumbnails of static GIF images
There is a proposal at the Commons Village Pump requesting feedback about the thumbnails of static GIF images: It states that static GIF files should have their thumbnails created in PNG. The advantages of PNG over GIF would be visible especially with GIF images using an alpha channel. (compare the thumbnails on the side)
This change would affect all wikis, so if you support/oppose or want to give general feedback/concerns, please post them to the proposal page. Thank you. --McZusatz (talk) & MediaWiki message delivery (discuss • contribs) 05:08, 24 July 2015 (UTC)
What does a Healthy Community look like to you?
The Community Engagement department at the Wikimedia Foundation has launched a new learning campaign. The WMF wants to record community impressions about what makes a healthy online community. Share your views and/or create a drawing and take a chance to win a Wikimania 2016 scholarship! Join the WMF as we begin a conversation about Community Health. Contribute a drawing or answer the questions on the campaign's page.
Why get involved?
The world is changing. The way we relate to knowledge is transforming. As the next billion people come online, the Wikimedia movement is working to bring more users on the wiki projects. The way we interact and collaborate online are key to building sustainable projects. How accessible are Wikimedia projects to newcomers today? Are we helping each other learn?
Share your views on this matter that affects us all!
We invite everyone to take part in this learning campaign. Wikimedia Foundation will distribute one Wikimania Scholarship 2016 among those participants who are eligible.
- All participants must have a registered user of at least one month antiquity on any Wikimedia project before the starting date of the campaign.
- Wiki link: Community Health learning campaign
- URL https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Evaluation/Community_Health_learning_campaign
- Contact: María Cruz / Twitter: WikiEval #CommunityHealth / email: evalwikimedia · org
VisualEditor News #4—2015
—Elitre (WMF), 22:28, 14 August 2015 (UTC)
- Why not stop developing these white elephants toys like VE, Flow, and MV? Let's go back to basic editing, old-style talk pages, and file pages that didn't impose themselves. 22.214.171.124 (discuss) 00:42, 30 August 2015 (UTC)
How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?
The Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback about how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants, to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project. Ways to participate:
- Respond to questions on the discussion page of the idea.
- Join a small group conversation.
- Learn more about this consultation.
Feedback is welcome in any language.