Visual Basic .NET
Visual Basic .NET is a multi-paradigm, high-level programming language,from Microsoft that is suitable for most development needs. The language is designed with Rapid Application Development in mind, providing several tools to shorten development time. This book introduces Visual Basic .NET language fundamentals and covers a variety of the base class libraries (BCL) provided by the .NET Framework.
- A description of Visual Basic .NET.
- The Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- A Microsoft application to simplify application development.
- Getting Started
- Making your first application.
- The entities used to store various types of data.
- A variable that stores several data of the same data type.
- Branch statements
- The various conditional statements in the language for selective code execution.
- Loop statements
- The various loop statements in the language for repetitive code execution.
- Operators in general
- What are operators in a programming language.
- Assignation and comparison operators
- Describes the '=', 'Is' and 'IsNot' operators.
- Arithmetic operators
- Describes the operators that work on numerical values, such as the '+' in addition.
- String and character operators
- Describes the operators used for string and character manipulation, such as the '&' and '+' operators.
- Logical operators
- Describes the operators used in boolean logic, such as the 'And' and 'Or' operators.
- Binary operators
- Describes the operators used in maniputating in binary, such as the 'And' and '<<' operators.
- Exception handling
- Handling errors and exceptions
- The windows controls, such as the button and text boxes.
- Objects that can be added at design time using the Window Designer, but is not visible at runtime, such as the Timer component.
- Interprocess Communication
- How programs can communicate with each other across application boundaries.
- Programming with the DataGridView control
Object Oriented Programming
- The blueprints of objects that describes how they should work.
- Giving your code its own space to live in.
- Cornerstones of any object-oriented programming language, objects are the tools you use to perform work.
- Encapsulation and accessor levels
- Explains protection of object states by encapsulation.
Advanced Data Structure
- Abstract and partial classes
- Object Lifetime
- A set of related constants defining a value type.
- Advanced data structure for encapsulating data.
The .NET Framework
- The .NET assembly
- All .NET solutions have their components contained in assemblies.
- .NET Framework Overview
- An overview of the .NET class library used in VB.NET
- The .NET framework
- A language is merely a way of communication. The .NET framework represents the tools at your disposal to get actual work done.
- How security is used in the .NET framework.
- Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents
- For developers making the switch.
GDI+ is a way to draw simple graphics and strings on a Form.
MS Office Automation
- Microsoft Office Automation
- Manipulating MS Office documents and even MS Office itself from VB.NET