|Time||a few hours|
Creme brûlée is a delicious dessert that is both tasty and easy to make
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, divided
- Flavorings, such as vanilla, cardamom, citrus zest
Preheat oven to 325˚F (160˚C)
Heat cream and flavorings on stovetop, in a saucepan on medium heat, until simmering. Remove from heat.
Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar.
Pour a small amount of warm cream mixture into egg yolk mixture and whisk until combined. Continue adding more milk until the egg mixture is warm.
Combine egg/cream mixture and remaining cream in saucepan, heat again, stirring continuously, until thickened and coats back of spoon.
Pour into ramekins (depending on size, may fill 1 to 4), put ramekins in pan with a bit of water in the bottom, and bake for around 40 mins or until the custard is set.
Refrigerate a few hours until cool, then sprinkle on remaining 1/4 cup sugar and finish under broiler, about 5 mins, checking and turning every minute to prevent burning.
Serve and enjoy!
Notes, tricks, and variations
- The cream can be substituted for milk, but the quantity of egg yolks required increases.
- When dusting the creme brûlée with sugar at the end, a thin and even coat is crucial.
- One can also finish the creme brûlée with a blowtorch instead of a broiler.
- Creme brûlée is good with a variety of flavorings, so experimentation is good.