- I'll try to show you how to make connection with second computer working under Windows OS in local network.
- To do that I will use samba and one of it's GUI.
- As a second way I'll make connection using Opera web browser.
- Samba provides file and print services for Microsoft Windows clients in local network.
- I have tried a few samba GUI but only one worked for me very well.
- But it doesn't mean it'll be the same on your computer, you should try theme yourself.
- Samba home page: http://www.samba.org/
- Samba on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29
- SMB-Browser is the one application that worked on my computer well.
- It's not available in Debian repositories, I have found it pre-installed with Elive 2.0 linux distibution.
- 1. Add Elive server address:
deb http://europe.repository.elive-systems.com/ lenny main elive drivers tests efl ports multimedia games other
deb http://europe.debian.elive-systems.com/ lenny main contrib non-free
- to repository list using a text editor as root:
- 2. Next refresh package list and recive a public key:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv key_ID
gpg --export key_ID | apt-key add -
- 3. And install application:
apt-get install smb-browser smb-admin
- 4. After that change rights for two files responsibility for mounting and unmounting shared files:
chmod u+s /sbin/mount.cifs
chmod u+s /sbin/umount.cifs
- 5. Run SMB-browser from: Menu-> Network-> Browser of Share
- a. In "preferences" tab make:
- - mark "mount.cifs"
- - type user name and password of second computer
- b. Go to "Main" tab:
- - type IP address of second computer
- - click on "Search by Hostname or IP"
- c. If everything is all right you'll see second's computer's shared folder in left down window.
- d. Click on "Mount" to mount it and "Browse" - it'll open Thunar file manager.
- e. All the files you can copy, edit, remove or send new one out from your computer.
- 6. To finish connection click on "Un-mount".
Others samba GUI
- Smb4k: http://smb4k.berlios.de/
- Smb2www: http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/users/frank/smb2www/
- Komba2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/komba/
- Samba GUI list: http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI/
- Second way to make connection with another computer (under any system) is using Opera Unite Sidux/Opera.
- Unite lets you share your files, videos, music, etc via internet.
- 1. Choose "Unite" icon from left panel, then "File sharing" and click on "Start".
- 2. A configurator will open a window so click on "Next".
- 3. In next step make registration on Opera server.
- 4. Or log in if you have an account.
- 5. Next step - choose your computer name for Unite.
- 6. And next choose a folder you want to share.
- 7. After that go to your Opera main page, copy the address link for your friends.
- 8. Don't forget to give your password to theme.
- 9. To finish sharing just click on "Stop".
- Tsclient - remote desktop tool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsclient
- Vinagre - remote desktop tool: http://projects.gnome.org/vinagre/
- Rdesktop - remote desktop protocol client: http://www.rdesktop.org/
- Team Viewer - remote control, desktop sharing and file transfer tool: http://www.teamviewer.com/