Forming[edit | edit source]
In the process of "forming" all of the material is used to make the product. This means that no material is removed (taken away) e.g. nothing is cut, filed, sandpapered etc. The simple process used in this activity is casting.
You will practice the following PROCESSING SKILLS Mixing and combining and joining
You will need:
- A small mould
- Yellow stone (plaster of paris)
- Small magnet
- Brooch pin
- Small cup hook
- Glue (Bostik)
How to cast[edit | edit source]
1. Fill the mould half with water.
2. Slowly add some yellow stone (enough to fill the mould) and mix well.
3. Allow to set for 25 minutes and turn out.
1. Mix the plaster of paris with water in a separate container.
2. Pour the mixture into the mould
3. Allow to set.
Optional activity:[edit | edit source]
Once you have cast your object you can turn it into a useable work of art. You could:
- Decide on any creative use for your casting,
- Glue on the magnet to make a fridge magnet,
- Glue the brooch pin and make it a brooch,
- Use the cup hook or straw to make a pendant (the challenge is deciding when and how to use the cup hook and straw)
Author: Cheryl Jaftha
Editor: Osman Sadeck