To begin, place the game board on the table. Each player selects a token. Then they place their token on the table near the space labeled Go, placing it on Go only when his/her first turn to move arrives. One player becomes the Banker, who distributes assets from the Bank to the players. Only the player in question can use their money, money can only be lent via the Banker or by the player money. The Banker may play too, but must keep his personal funds from the bank. He/she also needs to make sure that they collect $200 when they pass GO.
- On a player's turn, the player must roll the dice and move his/her token forward the number of spaces as rolled on the dice. In some editions, players must do any trades, building improvements etc. at the start of their turn before rolling the dice.
- If the player lands on an unowned property, the player may buy it for the price listed on that property's space. If he or she agrees to buy it, he or she pays the Bank the amount shown on the property space and receives the deed for that property. If he or she refuses to buy the property for the amount stated on the deed, the property is auctioned. Bidding may start at any price, and all players may bid. The highest bidder wins the property and pays the Bank the amount bid and receives the property's title deed. Railroads and utilities are also considered properties.
- If the player lands on an unmortgaged property owned by another player, he or she pays rent to that person, as specified on the property's deed. It is the property owner's responsibility to demand rent, and he or she has until the beginning of the second following player's turn to do so.
- If the player lands on his or her own property, or on property which is owned by another player but currently mortgaged, nothing happens.
- If the player lands on Luxury Tax/Super Tax, he or she must pay the Bank $100 (in some editions of the game, only $75).
- If the player lands on Income Tax he or she must pay the Bank either $200 or 10% of his or her total assets (cash on hand, property, houses and hotels). In some editions of the game, this is a flat rate of $200.
- If the player lands on a Chance or Community Chest, the player takes a card from the top of the respective pack and performs the instruction given on the card.
- If the player lands on the Jail space, he or she is "Just Visiting". No penalty applies.
- If the player lands on the Go to Jail square, he or she must move his token directly to Jail.
- If the player lands on or passes Go in the course of his or her turn, he or she receives $200 from the Bank. A player has until the beginning of his or her next turn to collect this money.
Optional House Rule: If a player lands on go then the money collected is doubled.
- You may sell houses back to the Bank for half the purchase price or sell property deeds to other players in the game.
- Players may not loan money to other players. Only the Bank can loan money, and then only by mortgaging properties.
- If a player skips another player's turn and is caught, the turn is transferred back to the player whose turn was skipped.
When doubles are rolled, the player resolves the roll as normal (including purchase, renting or passing "GO"), but rolls the dice again for another turn. The player moves forward as directed by the dice, and if this is also doubles, rolls again. If the third dice roll is doubles, the player cannot buy property, and is instead moved directly to jail.
The sole exception is rolling doubles to exit jail, which doesn't allow for an additional turn.
Properties, Rents, and Construction
- If a player lands on property he may buy it at the listed price. If the player refuses to buy it, then the bank sells it at auction to the highest bidder. All players, including the one who chose to not buy it, may bid on the property. Properties are arranged in "color groups" of two or three properties.
- Once a player owns all properties of a colour group (a monopoly), the rent is now doubled on all unimproved lots of that color group, even if any of the properties are mortgaged to the bank except when a house is bought .
- The player may purchase up to four houses or one hotel per property (and only if there are properties to hold the houses), which raise the rents that must be paid when other players land on the property.
- The properties in a color group must be developed evenly, i.e. each house that is built must go on a property in the group with the fewest number of houses on it so far.
- A hotel may be built on a color group only after all properties in the group have four houses. A player purchases a hotel by paying the price of an additional house, and returning the four houses on that property to the Bank in exchange for a hotel.
- If a property is owned by a player and another player lands on the property and the owner does not realize it before the second following player rolls the dice then the player does not have to pay the owner.
- At any time a player may, to raise cash, sell hotels and houses back to the Bank for half of the purchase price of the houses.
- Also, properties with no houses or hotels may be mortgaged for half of the property price. A property does not collect rent while mortgaged and may not be developed. To de-mortgage a property a player must pay interest of 10% in addition to the mortgage price. Whenever a mortgaged property changes hands between players, either through a trade, sale or by bankruptcy, the new owner must immediately pay 10% interest on the mortgage and at their option may pay the principal or hold the property. If the player holds the property and later wishes to lift the mortgage they must pay the 10% interest again as well.
If a player wishes to buy a house/hotel for a property, it is not necessary to wait for their turn. The player can buy houses/hotels even if it is not their turn. The player does not need to be on the property they wish to put the house/hotel on.
The rent a player charges for landing on a railroad varies with the number of railroads that are also owned by a player. The rent is as follows: Charge $25 if one is owned, $50 if two are owned, $100 if three are owned, $200 if all four are owned. In some editions, if a player owns multiple railroads they can travel to others when they land on theirs.
For utilities, after a player lands on one to owe rent, the rent is 4 times the amount rolled, if the player owns one utility. If the player possesses both utilities, the rent is 10 times the amount rolled. In some editions, the rents are flat.
Property Values Table
|US||UK/International||Site||1 hse||2 hses||3 hses||4 hses||Hotel|
|Mediterranean Avenue||Old Kent Road||60||2||10||30||90||160||250|
|Baltic Avenue||Whitechapel Road||60||4||20||60||180||320||450|
|Reading RR||Kings Cross Station||200||25 if 1 owned, 50 if 2 owned, 100 if 3 owned, 200 if all 4 owned|
|Oriental Avenue||The Angel Islington||100||6||30||90||270||400||550|
|Vermont Avenue||Euston Road||100||6||30||90||270||400||550|
|Connecticut Avenue||Pentonville Road||120||8||40||100||300||450||600|
|St. Charles Place||Pall Mall||140||10||50||150||450||625||750|
|Electric Company||150||4xdice if 1 owned, 10xdice if both owned|
|Virginia Avenue||Northumberland Avenue||160||12||60||180||500||700||900|
|Pennsylvania RR||Marylebone Station||200||25 if 1 owned, 50 if 2 owned, 100 if 3 owned, 200 if all 4 owned|
|St. James Place||Bow Street||180||14||70||200||550||750||950|
|Tennessee Avenue||Marlborough Street||180||14||70||200||550||750||950|
|New York Avenue||Vine Street||200||16||80||220||600||800||1000|
|Kentucky Avenue||The Strand||220||18||90||250||700||875||1050|
|Indiana Avenue||Fleet Street||220||18||90||250||700||875||1050|
|Illinois Avenue||Trafalgar Square||240||20||100||300||750||925||1100|
|B&O RR||Fenchurch St Station||200||25 if 1 owned, 50 if 2 owned, 100 if 3 owned, 200 if all 4 owned|
|Atlantic Avenue||Leicester Square||260||22||110||330||800||975||1150|
|Ventnor Avenue||Coventry Street||260||22||110||330||800||975||1150|
|Water Works||150||4xdice if 1 owned, 10xdice if both owned|
|Pacific Avenue||Regent Street||300||26||130||390||900||1100||1275|
|North Carolina Avenue||Oxford Street||300||26||130||390||900||1100||1275|
|Pennsylvania Avenue||Bond Street||320||28||150||450||1000||1200||1400|
|Short Line||Liverpool Street Station||200||25 if 1 owned, 50 if 2 owned, 100 if 3 owned, 200 if all 4 owned|
|Park Place||Park Lane||350||35||175||500||1100||1300||1500|
* In older editions Marvin Gardens/Piccadilly rent was 22.
Mortgage value is half the acquisition cost.