How to Convert Videos for the iPod
The iPod Video is a great device to use to view media files. However, the iPod Video does not accept mpeg, mpg, and avi file formats along with many others. It only accepts mp4 files. This guide will show you the steps to take to add videos to your iPod.
You need a variety of software to convert and transfer videos to your iPod:
- Download the latest version of iTunes from the iTunes site
- Download Ipod Video Converter (it's free) from the video converter site
- A video file that isn't in the right format for the iPod. These could be files downloaded from the Internet or ripped from a DVD
These are the steps you need to take to convert the video:
- It is strongly recommended that you make a folder on your computer to store the videos in. You'll need one for input and one for output. Name the input folder My videos (input). This is where you will store unconverted videos. Name the other folder My videos (output). Make a folder in iTunes as well. I named mine Videos but you may choose whatever you like.
- Start Videora and click on set-up. Change the output folder to My videos (output) (or the name you used in step 1 if different)
- In Videora, click on the convert button on the left side of the screen. Then click on transcode new video. Navigate to My videos (input) (or the name you used in step 1 if different) and click on the file you want to convert. Change the title if want.
- Finally click on start. Depending on the file size conversion time can take between about five minutes and two hours.
Transferring the video to iTunes
You're almost finished now. These are the steps to transfer your convert video to iTunes:
- Go to My videos (output) and find the file you converted
- Open iTunes and make sure you've made a folder to drag the file to
- Drag the converted video from the output folder to the video folder in iTunes
- Click on the video to see if it plays
Transfer the video to your iPod
- Plug in your iPod to your computer and begin the transfer. Normally the video should automatically be transferred to the iPod. Click on iPod in the source menu. Go to videos and make sure that iPod updates from your video folder!
- Click on the eject button on the iPod in the source menu. Unplug your iPod from the computer.
- Scroll to videos on your iPod. Click on video playlists. Click on your video folder. You should see the converted file.
- Click on it and it should play. Congratulations!