History of video games/Platforms/SG-1000
History[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Sega has its origins in Standard Games, a Honolulu, Hawaii based American amusement company founded in 1940. Sega, a shortened version of Service Games, would form into a Japanese amusement company in a roundabout way as American legislation banned coin operated gambling games in their primary markets. 
Launch[edit | edit source]
The SG-1000 was launched on July 15, 1983 in Japan on the same day as the Nintendo Famicom launch.
The improved Mark III was launched in October of 1985.
The SG-3000 model added a keyboard, and proved to be more popular in Japan then the original SG-1000.
The Dina game console was also related to the SG-1000.
Technology[edit | edit source]
The SG-1000 CPU uses a 8 bit Zilog Z80A clocked at 3.58 megahertz.
The SG-1000 uses a Texas Instruments TMS9928A for graphics processing, and a Texas Instruments SN76489 for sound processing.
Notable Games[edit | edit source]
1984[edit | edit source]
Girl's Garden[edit | edit source]
Released in either 1984 or 1985.
Read more about Girl's Garden on Wikipedia.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
SG-1000[edit | edit source]
SG-1000 II[edit | edit source]
SG-1000 III[edit | edit source]
SC-3000[edit | edit source]
Telegames Personal Arcade[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
| Parts of this page are based on materials from:
Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia.
- "Your Turn: A brief history of Sega" (in en). 8 August 2013. https://www.smh.com.au/technology/your-turn-a-brief-history-of-sega-20130808-2rkfm.html.
- "Meet The Four Americans Who Built Sega" (in en-us). https://kotaku.com/meet-the-four-americans-who-built-sega-5788468.
- "Service Games, Hawaii" (in en). 5 November 2020. https://segaretro.org/Service_Games,_Hawaii.
- "Sega History - Zippia". 18 December 2020. https://www.zippia.com/sega-careers-62207/history/.
- McGuire, Keegan (23 October 2020). "The untold truth of Sega's first console". https://www.looper.com/266460/the-untold-truth-of-segas-first-console/. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "HISTORY SEGA 60th Anniversary" (in en). https://60th.sega.com/en/history/. Retrieved 18 November 2020.
- "The Story of Sega's First Console, Which Was Not The Master System" (in en-us). Kotaku. https://kotaku.com/the-story-of-segas-first-console-which-was-not-the-mas-5888800. Retrieved 27 October 2020.
- "Feature: A Look Back At the SG-1000, Sega's First Ever Home Console". Nintendo Life. 25 June 2018. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/feature_a_look_back_at_the_sg-1000_segas_first_ever_home_console. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "Playing the SG-1000, Sega's First Game Machine" (in en-us). Wired. https://www.wired.com/2009/10/sega-sg-1000/. Retrieved 26 October 2020.