Eighth generation of video game consoles
This generation saw more games rendered at 720p or higher resolutions, compared to the previous generation, which often upscaled from sub HD resolutions.
To increase performance, many developers resorted to duplicating assets multiple times, which helps during seek operations on rotational media at the cost of ballooning game sizes.
This generation saw the home consoles ease restrictions on cross platform play, allowing people on different consoles to compete when playing the same games with multiple versions across console and PC.
Many Eighth generation home consoles and handhelds supported social media features in the console operating system. Furthermore many consoles began easily allowing screenshots and recordings of gameplay to be shared from the console itself. Later on in the generation, a button was often included on controllers to facilitate this.
With increased online support, this generation saw a corresponding decrease in local multiplayer support.
Retro revival consoles
- NES Classic Edition & Famicom Classic Edition
- Super NES Classic Edition & Super Famicom Classic Edition
- PlayStation Classic
- Tiny Arcade & Tiny Pocket
- Gamebuino Meta
- Adafruit PyGamer
- Game Gadget
- Clockwork GameShell
- Kano Pixel
- Kitronik GameZip 64
- Creoqode 2048
Retro revival handhelds
- Peckham, Matt (6 November 2013). "Xbox One Resolution Brouhaha: When Graphics Matter, and When They Don’t". https://techland.time.com/2013/11/06/xbox-one-resolution-brouhaha-when-graphics-matter-and-when-they-dont/.
- Fenlon, Wes (11 January 2021). "How Hitman 3's devs shrank the entire trilogy install size by over 80GB". PC Gamer. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-hitman-3s-devs-shrank-the-entire-trilogys-install-size-by-over-80gb/.
- Linneman, John (18 October 2018). "Luigi's Mansion 3DS: GameCube port or full mobile remake?" (in en). https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-luigis-mansion-3ds-tech-analysis. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- Bierton, David (17 August 2013). "Face-Off: PlayStation 3 vs. PlayStation Vita" (in en). https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Uncharted PS Vita Vs PS3 graphics comparison pictures". http://www.guruht.com/2012/05/uncharted-ps-vita-vs-ps3-graphic.html. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Cross-Platform Gaming Has Been Great" (in en-us). https://kotaku.com/cross-platform-gaming-has-been-great-1845804328.
- Life, Nintendo (17 December 2020). "Cross-Save Support Is Now Live In The Switch Version Of Hades". Nintendo Life. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/cross-save_support_is_now_live_in_the_switch_version_of_hades.
- Statt, Nick (7 October 2019). "The PS4’s Facebook integration comes to an abrupt end, but it should only be temporary" (in en). https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20903774/sony-ps4-facebook-integration-disabled-improve-update-coming.
- "Nintendo Support: How to Link or Unlink a Social Media Service (Twitter, Facebook, Google, Apple ID) to a Nintendo Account". https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16025/~/how-to-link-or-unlink-a-social-media-service-.
- "PS4's Share Button Was So Great Everyone Copied It" (in en-us). https://kotaku.com/ps4s-share-button-was-so-great-everyone-copied-it-1845778110.
- Kantilaftis, Helen (27 August 2015). "The Decline Of Couch Co-Op". https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/the-decline-of-couch-co-op/.