Guide to Game Development/Rendering and Game Engines/OpenGL/GLUT
GLUT (pronounced like the glut in gluttony) is the OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a window system independent toolkit for writing OpenGL programs. It implements a simple windowing application programming interface (API) for OpenGL. GLUT makes it considerably easier to learn about and explore OpenGL programming. GLUT provides a portable API so you can write a single OpenGL program that works across all PC and workstation OS platforms.
- Code on how to create the basic perspective scene for 3D
- Code on how to create the basic orthographic scene for 2D
- Functions used for handling: Mouse, Keyboard, etc.
- How you can group glut for distribution to others.
- Multiple windows for OpenGL rendering
- Callback driven event processing
- Sophisticated input devices
- An 'idle' routine and timers
- A simple, cascading pop-up menu facility
- Utility routines to generate various solid and wire frame objects
- Support for bitmap and stroke fonts
- Miscellaneous window management functions
- Glut webpage on the OpenGL website
- Glut on the Nate Robbins webpage
- Youtube Installation tutorial by Xoax.net