Georgia Water/Georgia Water Council
The Georgia Water Council, as sequel to the Georgia Water Resources Council, was created by the Comprehensive State-wide Water Management Planning Act, from HB237, signed by Governor Sonny Perdue on May 13, 2004. This Act is based on the work of the Joint Comprehensive Water Plan Study Committee of 2001-2002. It replaced the River Basin Management Planning Act of 1992.
Duties of the Georgia Water Council as specified in the Act (OCGA 12-5-524(b)) include:
- Ensure coordination, cooperation, and communication among state agencies and their water related efforts in the development of a comprehensive state-wide water management plan;
- Provide input to the Georgia EPD concerning the development of a comprehensive state-wide water management plan;
- Review, modify if necessary, and approve the final draft of the proposed comprehensive state-wide water management plan; and
- Recommend such initial proposed plan for consideration by the General Assembly not later than ... the first day of the 2008 regular session of the General Assembly.
A. Two Appointed Members (Both voting members)
- One member is appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and one member is appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate; each appointee shall not be a member of the General Assembly and shall serve for a term of four years and until a successor is appointed and qualified.
B. Eight Directors of Georgia State Agencies (All 8 ex-officio)
- Carol Couch, Georgia Environmental Protection Division (chair of Water Council)
- Noel Holcomb, Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- David Bennett, Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission
- Mike Beatty, Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- B.J. Walker, Georgia Department of Human Resources
- Tommy Irvin, Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Kenneth Stewart Jr., Georgia Forestry Commission
- Paul Burks, Georgia Environmental Facilities Authority
C. Four Elected Representatives (2 ex-officio, 2 appointed, and all 4 advisory/non-voting)
- The chairperson of the Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee, ex officio, and one additional member of that committee to be selected by its chairperson and the chairperson of the House Committee on Natural Resources and Environment, ex officio, and one additional member of that committee to be selected by its chairperson shall each serve in an advisory capacity (O.C.G.A. 12-5-524(a)).
- Senator Ross Tolleson (R-Perry), Chair of Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee
- Senator John Bulloch (R-Ochlocknee), District 11
- Representative Lynn Smith (R-Newnan), Chair of House Committee on Natural Resources and Environment
- Representative Tom McCall (D-Elberton), District 30
- public participation