Foundations and Assessment of Education/Edition 1/Foundations Table of Contents/Chapter 3/Chapter Introduction
Though it may not be something that crosses the mind of the everyday person very often, education as an institution has been around for thousands of years. Starting in the Ancient world, in Rome and Greece, philosophers like Plato and Socrates would hold lectures to young male students. Over time, females were allowed to join in on the learning. Beginning in the 17th and 18th centuries, education as we know it today began to develop. Each century following brought with it more and more advances in education. This chapter has articles that go into detail about the education milestones of the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, and, 21st centuries. It also contains a section about the history of teacher education. All of these cover things that all new and experienced teachers should be familiar with.
The articles that follow are:
- •What are the educational milestones of the 17th and 18th Centuries?
- •What are the educational milestones of the 19th Century?
- •What are the educational milestones of the 20th Century?
- •What are the educational milestones of the 21st Century?
- •The History of Teacher Education