Cookbook:Zupa Ogórkowa (Polish Cucumber Soup)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Polish cuisine | Soup
Zupa ogórkowa is a traditional Polish soup made out of sour, salted cucumbers.
|Zupa Ogórkowa (Polish Cucumber Soup)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 chicken wings
- 1 small leek (or 1 small onion)
- 2 carrots
- ½ celery root (optional)
- 1 parsnip root
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 big sour-salted (pickled) cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pimentos
- salt and pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons of cream or half and half (optional; yoghurt is also acceptable but not traditional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Put the chicken wings, salt, pepper, bay leaves and pimentos into a saucepan or stock pot with 1.5 L (1 ½ quarts) cold water. After bringing it to a boil, let it simmer for 25 minutes on low heat.
- Add the peeled carrots, celery root, parsnip root, and leek, and boil it for 10 more minutes. During that time peel the potatoes and dice them into quarter inch (cubes 0.25“ x 0.25”).
- Take out the leek, and add the potatoes to the pot. Boil them for 10–12 minutes and make sure the potatoes are cooked through.
- Now is the time to prepare the pickled cucumber mixture. Grate the sour-salted (pickled) cucumbers and put them into a sauté pan with the melted butter. Sauté for 2 minutes, and add the flour and constantly stir it over low heat.
- Add ½–⅓ cups of water to the sauté pan and continue stirring.
- When the potatoes are cooked, add the prepared sour cucumber preparation to the stock pot and mix them well. Boil for 3-5 minutes and season the soup to taste. If you like, mix some soup with cream or sour cream in a small cup and add it to the pan, or a smaller amount to each individual serving.
- Bon appétit! Smacznego!
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- It is very important to add the potatoes first, and then the sour cucumbers. If you add them in reverse order, the potatoes will not be cooked through.