Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Servings||6 to 8|
Zucchini pie is a savory Italian supper pie. Fresh zucchini squash, mozzarella cheese, and herbs give this pie its distinctive taste.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Pie crust[edit | edit source]
Pie filling[edit | edit source]
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 small squash)
- ½ cup chopped onion (about 1/3 of a large onion)
- ¼ cup parsley (or 2 tablespoons parsley flakes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon oregano
- 2 beaten eggs
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded mozzarella
- 1½ ounces butter for frying
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 375° F/191° C/Gas mark 5.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms coarse particles. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and mixing to make a pliable dough.
- Roll out the pie crust to a circle and then fit it into a pie plate; bake for 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven. Add the zucchini and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Stir the seasoning into the vegetable mixture and set aside.
- Combine 2 beaten eggs and grated cheese in a bowl, then stir into the vegetable and spice mix.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 20 minutes, or until center is set.
- Serve hot.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.