Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yerushalmi kugel is named after the city of Jerusalem. Legend has it that it originated in Jerusalem with the followers of the Vilna Gaon in the 18th century.
- 8 oz (200g) noodles (egg noodles are preferred, but others work fine as well)
- 2/3 cup (160g) sugar (white sugar is helpful because it's more obvious when it begins to brown)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- handful of raisins
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- Boil noodles according to the instructions and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, and add 1/3 cup (80g) of sugar.
- Stir continuously until the sugar begins to brown. Remove from heat.
- The sugar will continue to brown for a few more minutes, creating a thick caramel.
- Add the caramel to the noodles.
- Add the sugar, eggs, cinnamon, pepper, and raisins. Stir.
- Bake in a pan at 350 (180c) until the top begins to brown (about 40 minutes).